I went through hundreds of things and was able to narrow it down to about 75 to take to the gallery to see what fit and what didn't. Ah, the old conundrum; what to leave in, and what to leave out.
Part of the fun this time, too, was that I was not willing to spend any money on frames. It seems like every time that I put up new artwork I spend around a hundred bucks on frames alone -- and that's just the normal monthly change of space. I didn't want to end up throwing a bunch of money at old paintings that probably won't sell anyway ... so I switched and swapped frames from one painting to another -reworked old frames - and just made do with what I had on hand. There were a lot of pieces that I would have liked to have up there that I don't, simply because I didn't have a frame for 'em. Ah, well.
I really hate displaying in the "salon style" where one fills the entire wall space with work; preferring the "gallery style" where paintings are usually shown side by side with several inches (or feet) between and are hung so that they are evenly balanced on a line that is close to an average eye level. But the gallery style greatly limits the amount of work one may show.
Artwork doesn't really seem to sell that well in Spokane, so, my approach is that I will show as much stuff as possible, and present a variety of styles and mediums ... as well as to show a little of my history - I might have something for everyone in there, if not, well -- then I've had a grand time sharing my work with my friends, family, and colleagues. I even have a ancient self portrait = done when I was 20 - that was cracked and falling apart, which has never been displayed before.
It was great fun, this puzzle, and I still have a lot of work to do; cleaning, signing (I have a bad habit of not throwing my name on stuff), and labeling ... but, at least for now, the hanging is done.